Study Skills For Success -
Helping You Do Well In Exams
How To Discover
Your Individual Learning Style
Top Tips for Making
There are many different reasons for making notes:
notes from a book - be highly selective, don't write everything
down - focus on keywords, ideas and themes.
notes at a lecture - jot down the main ideas, plus things
you are likely to forget - names, dates, specialist vocabulary.
Go back over your notes at the end to identify key words.
For Visual and
Kinaesthetic learners - pictorial notes can have great impact.
planning - a spider diagram is an excellent style, as ideas
are organised into a flexible structure which forms the basis of your
practice using the different styles of note-taking and to learn how to
use them to your advantage, we offer an e-learning module called Making Notes.
Top Tips for
1. First, analyse the title you have been given and make sure
that you understand it.
2. Then gather your material together.
3. Next make notes from the material you have found using a style that
suits your purpose.
4. Write your essay.
5. Put it in a drawer.
6. Get it out again a few days later and re-read it critically.
7. Make any necessary changes, and then hand it in.
help on how to ensure that you answer the essay questions fully; for
more information on how to structure your essay; and the do's and
dont's of successful essay writing, we offer Essay Writing as an